Monday, October 27, 2008

Never a dull moment...

The excitement never seems to end. Today at work I was in an all day training session. During my afternoon break I checked my messages. There was only one, but it was from the alarm company. Apparently our alarm had gone off and there was movement detected on the main floor of our house. They had managed to get in touch with my father-in-law but he doesn't have a key to get in the house so there wasn't much he could do. They also had Raju's wrong number on file, so they were unable to contact him. I managed to get in touch with Raju on my way home. By the time I got here Raju was here and so was his dad. My father in-law had come downtown and was waiting for us on our doorstep since he was unable to get in touch with Raju too. I'm glad they were here because I was a bit nervous to enter the house by myself. Anyway, everything was fine. No sign of anything. Not quite sure what it was. Could have been a little glitch or maybe a little critter ran by something:)
Then it was off to baking class. Tonight it was eclairs and cream puffs. My shoulder was very sore by the end of class. There was a lot of stirring and mixing of stiff dough and chocolate. I have a friend in the class next door and he was surprised we were doing it by hand as they used the mixers. Our Chef said it's best to use your hands when you are learning so you can get a feel for the dough. I have to agree and although our class usually takes longer I think we learn more.
I think the hardest part was cutting the pastries and dipping them in the chocolate and filling them. It was very time consuming. Not something I may want to repeat soon. We'll see though. We had so many pastries that I didn't fill them all and have some of the profiteroles in my freezer just waiting for me to decide what to do with them.
Mel - I also confirmed that the pans I got from St. Lawrence market are ok. They are a little smaller than 7" but my Chef said that's fine. They didn't really look like flan pans to me, more like tart pans but at least I know they are correct. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.
My friend also said, they had a bit of drama in their class last night as well. I do remember hearing a commotion but wasn't sure what was going on. Someone had an epileptic seizure in their class. Fortunately there was someone who knew what to do and was able to make sure he did not injure himself.
There really is never a dull moment :)

No comments: