Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hawaii - Day 12

I realized that I didn't fill you in on dinner last night. And I know Di likes to know every last detail. We ended up at the Cheesecake Factory. It was really, really busy but we decided to wait anyway. We wandered to the bar at the back of the restaurant to have a drink while we waited for a table. It was crowded but eventually cleared up and we managed to get a seat at the bar. The bar tender suggested we just have dinner at the bar as it would be much faster than waiting for a table, so that's what we did. I was fascinated most of the evening by watching him make drinks. It seemed to be never ending and he was a machine that just kept going and going and going. On the way back to the hotel we passed where all the surf boards sleep for the night. There were soooo many of them.
Unlike the other islands the streets were really busy last night with people just walking around and a few street performers. It's like Las Vegas...the city that never sleeps.



This morning we were up and out early to the beach (8:30a.m.). First we stopped at Starbuck's and then crossed the street to the beach. I was surprised that the streets were alive at this time of the morning as well. I only dipped my feet in the water but Raju dove right it. We stayed out until about 10:00a.m. and then the sun started to get really hot and more people were arriving on the beach. We came back to the room and Raju started watching his football. For the first time since our vacation we did different things. I left Raju here and took the free trolley to Hilo Hattie (the souvenir store of Hawaii). The stop is just outside of the hotel so I hopped on and 20 minutes later I was at the store. My thought was to do some shopping there and then head to the shopping mall on my way back. I didn't end up at the shopping mall as I spent a bit too much money than I should have at Hilo Hattie's. You really should never get me near a jewellery counter. It's not like I don't have enough already but I always find something else I want.
I got back to the hotel around 1:15p.m. and found out that Raju had just finished lunch from room service. That was ok. I just ran across the street to McDonald's and had a filet-o-fish combo and a cheeseburger. Raju had asked for some fries so I got those as well. It's a good thing too because the combo in Hawaii comes with pineapple instead of fries. Weird!!!
After my lovely lunch I put my bikini back on and it was off to the pool (a whole 30 seconds away) for the afternoon. I really wanted to finish a book I was reading so we set up on these pool chairs that also has a cover and got to reading. I did manage to finish my book so now I have to find something else to read.
When we got back to the room, Raju continued to read his book as he wanted to finish it as well. I found the 2nd season 30 Rock episodes that he downloaded on the computer for us to watch on the plane ride. I started to watch but had to stop as Raju had not seen them and he wanted to see them as well. I read a magazine while I waited for him to finish his book and the we started watching. We got through 3 episodes and then decided we should have dinner. There is a restaurant in the hotel called Mac 24/7 that has gotten some good reviews. I had the friend chicken and waffles and Raju and the chicken fried steak. Raju's meal was appropriately sized, mine however was huge. 4 pieces of chicken placed on a waffle with gravy on the side. I only managed to finish half of it because I wanted to save room for dessert, apple crisp with ice-cream. It was only ok. I was pretty disappointed with it, but it made me realize when I return home I have to make my apple pie so I don't forget how to.
Now we are back in our room trying to decide if we should go out for a walk. I have a feeling that we are in for the night and some more 30 rock episodes.

1 comment:

Princess Di said...

Sounds like you're having such a good time, I'm jealous!!

See you when you get back!