Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hawaii - Day 4

I realized that my blog yesterday was not as detailed as it could have been. Let me provide a few more details.
We were picked up at the hotel at 6:30a.m. by Tommy. He picked up some people from some other hotels and then we headed to meet the bigger bus in town. Once we all got on the big bus, we had to pick a few more people and then the tour really started with our new tour guide Cousin Greg. He was quite good and new a lot about the Island. He tried to play a couple of videos but the screen by Raju and I didn't work, so took that opportunity to nap.
We had lunch at Volcano Lodge. That was neat because it was somewhere I was considering staying at one point. I'm glad we didn't because it seemed quite rustic and really is just in the middle of the volcano national park. If we were to drive through it on our own there would have been many places closed because of the high levels of sulfur due to the active volcano.
Yesterday's post sums up everything else we saw so I won't repeat it.
Today I got up at a more reasonable time (7:30a.m.). We had heard that there was a beautiful beach about 15 minutes away, so we got in a cab to check it out. Hapuna Beach. It was a beautiful white sand beach. I think I still prefer the beaches in St. Maarten though. We swam and lay about and then decided we wanted to return to the hotel. We learned that trying to call a cab in Hawaii on our own is very difficult. After waiting about 1/2 hour we gave up and headed to a nearby hotel to have them get us a cab. It arrived within 5 minutes. We stopped for lunch at the shops nearby our hotel and then came back to the room. Unfortunately I don't have pictures for you today as I lost it. I think I left it at the beach as we were waiting for the cab. On the bright side, I had gotten that camera with my airmiles points so it didn't cost me anything. I'll just have to find a new one in Maui.
Of course, because things happen together we tried to get into the room safe and our code just wouldn't work. Thankfully the front desk was very accommodating and sent someone right away to fix it.
Now it's time to pack as we leave for Maui tomorrow and also figure out what to do for dinner.

No comments: