Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chinese Lantern Festival

For the past couple of years I have wanted to go to Ontario place and see the Chinese Lantern Festival. This year I had Raju use his media powers and get us into the opening evening. It was a beautiful evening (after some rain during the day) as we took the streetcar across town for our gourmet meal at McDonalds. The location (King and Dufferin) had many colourful characters. I'm glad we didn't buy a house (although Raju really wanted to) in that area. After savouring our meal we walked through the Exhibition grounds and over to Ontario Place. It wasn't quite dark yet, so we headed to the media room for a couple of drinks while we waited. Raju saw someone from work so we chatted with him for a bit as well. Finally it was dark enough and we headed out to see what all the fuss has been about. I think Raju and I have big expectations. Although the 'sculptures' (the ones we saw) were beautiful, there wasn't really anything special about it. It looked like painted fabric with lights behind them. And a few of them moved. I think I was expecting something a little more intricate. The other problem was it was soooo crowded we couldn't make it down the main strip where most of the 'lanterns' (and I use that term loosely) where presented.
I'm glad we went though, as it was a lovely night and it's something I've always wanted to do.

No comments: