Saturday, July 26, 2008

Our lovely city

I have to admit, living in Toronto is pretty good. There is always something to do. Last night after work, I met up with Adina, Maya and Caroline for drinks and dinner at Everest. I had never been there. As I was looking up the address I came across some reviews that were not good. They complained of bad service and not so great food. However, we had a great time. Our server was really good. We even left him with an angry wasp under a glass when we left that he gallantly took care of. Afterwards we wandered around the city and stopped in at Second Cup for coffee and chatting.
After we had all disbanded I called Raju to meet me at Yonge/Dundas square. Yonge street was shut down between Dundas and Queen for the street performers. There were a lot of interesting sites. The following video shows a dance troupe that remains connected by their heads.
What I really wanted to see was a drum group that became a human mobile. It was really exciting. They came down Yonge street from Queen and paraded into Yonge/Dundas square accompanied by another marching band. At one point it reminded me of Drumline where there was a bit of a drum off. Then one group were harnessed into this contraption and lifted about 50 ft above the crowds by a crane, where they continued their drumming.
At the end of the performance, there was a lovely display of fireworks, so Raju and I decided to try and leave before the crowds. Unfortunately we walked right under them and Raju got it by a stray cracker. He wanted me to take a picture of it and post it on the blog for everyone to see what he survived.

1 comment:

Camilla said...

Oh, boy! This REALLY makes me miss downtown...

(By the way, poor Raju!)