Saturday, September 11, 2010

Running - Take 2

Yesterday was Eid (the end of Ramadan).  My Mom and her siblings celebrate this.  It involves a lot of eating.  After work I took the GO Train and headed to Camilla's house.  I hung out there and played with the boys while she got ready.  We then picked my Mom up and headed to one Uncle's house for dinner #1.  I had chicken, rice, pasta salad, taco salad, salmon and veggies and a dinner roll.  For dessert I had a small piece of cheesecake.  After a bit of a visit we headed to another Uncle's house for dinner #2.  I had chicken curry and roti and skipped dessert.  My contribution to the feasts were start shaped sugar cookies with "Eid Mubarak" on it.  I forgot to take pictures so you'll just have to imagine it.  I also had made hot cross buns, as my parents are off to Australia today and I wanted to give them something for the loooooong plane ride.
After all that eating I knew that I would need to work it off today.  I woke up this morning though to a lot of pain.  My monthly friend had arrived.  It hurt much more than usual.  I got out of bed at 7:30 and came downstairs to send Raju up to the bed (he was out last night and slept on the couch).  I took my vitamins, pain pill and had some breakfast and fully intended to go running after the pain subsided.  I ended up curling up in the blanket on the couch and dozed in and out of sleep until 11:00a.m.  I stayed on the couch and watched Raju play video games and then finally got up and ate lunch.  At 1:00p.m. the cramps returned full force and even worse than this morning.  I don't normally like to take more than 1 pain pill a day but I couldn't help it and took another.  I lay down on my bed with the heating pad and waited to feel better.  Raju headed off to an interview and I spoke to my Mom to wish her a safe trip.  Finally I felt a bit better so headed out for a walk/run.  I did the same route (which is approx. 6km in total) and did a combination....3 min. walk and then 3 min. run.  This worked better than the first time out  (where I tried to run as long as possible) but I still felt that running for 3 minutes at a time was hard.  I also felt like I was running very slowly.  I did get a chance to take my new running shoes out for a spin.  They felt good, but were blindingly white in the sun.  I'll have to wear them a lot more to get them dirty.
It is quite nice outside and I feel like I should enjoy it more, but the run/walk has taken a bit out of me, so I think I'm going to curl up on the couch again and watch TV and have a really lazy rest of the day.

1 comment:

Princess Di said...

Saads that's awesome! And it doesn't matter how slow you run, honestly you could be running the same pace as walking, but as long as you keep it up for the 3 minutes, then you're making progress, I'm so proud (and jealous!)