Sunday, September 26, 2010

Run Day!

After weeks of training (ok, just 3 and that consisted of one day out of the week of training) the Scotiabank Waterfront 5K arrived.
I started my day off by completing chicken crepes that I had started earlier this week.  Then I had a good breakfast of a fried egg and toast with OJ.  Camilla came to my house around 10:00a.m. We thought we would take the streetcar over to the Direct Energy Centre where the run was to start at 11:00a.m..  Unfortunately that did not prove to be as easy as we suspected.  Lots of streetcars came by, but they all seemed to be short turning.  So at 10:20a.m. we got into a cab to try our luck that way.  $20 cab fare later we had circled so many places and were only at the Eaton Centre.  We knew there were shuttle buses running from Nathan Phillips square to the start line so we hopped out of the cab and headed over there on foot.  Again we were trapped and couldn't figure out how to cross University Ave.  We had to walk up to Dundas over to Chestnut and then down again to catch the bus.  On we got at 11:00a.m. (when the race was starting).  Fortunately we were not the only ones.  16 of us in total got there a bit late and then we started.  If there were bands and people cheering me on when I ran on my own I may be more motivated but I guess that's not real life.  Camilla and I started together, but about 2 km in, I decided to go ahead.  I tried to run as much as I could but did have to take many walk breaks.  I did make sure I ran the last little bit so I could cross the finish line running.
My final time 37 min. 1.6 seconds.  I placed 1743/2868 for my gender and 253/376 for my category (Women age 35-39).  I'm not sure if my place time is based on my real time or the gun time (when the race actually started).  It really is something to be cheered on by people lining the street.  The last time that happened was when I did the 60km walk for breast cancer.  Of course all the cheering could have been the full marathoners who were running beside us.
I'm very proud of Darryl who completed his first marathon.  1/2 marathoners and full marathoners are amazing.  I can't imagine even being able to run 5K straight much less 21km or 42 km.  He said up to 35km he was ok, but the last little bit was really hard.
Great job to Camilla too!  She has a bad knee and didn't do any training and only came in 7 minutes behind me.  Just goes to show that my pace of running isn't that fast :)

No comments: