Monday, December 27, 2010

Boxing Day Shopping

Yesterday I spent the whole day at home and much of it sleeping on the couch as I have come down with a holiday cough and cold. Well, more a cough and sore throat than the cold part. Of course today I was very antsy having been cooped up yesterday. I got up, had breakfast, cleaned the bathroom had a shower and then Raju and I headed out to the Eaton Centre. We had to pick up his Mom's Christmas present that had arrived at Sears (a family ring). While we were out we stopped at Future Shop and Best Buy to check out TV's for the bedroom. I was willing to get a 40" TV. However they had a 42" on sale for $400. It's Plasma instead of LCD and 720 dpi instead of 1080. I think those are the right numbers. I really have no idea what it means, just that it's not the latest or greatest. But for $400 does it need to be? It's also our bedroom TV so will not be used as much as the one the living room. The lady at the store was nice enough to call us a cab as we had not expected to buy a TV so didn't come with our car (although I'm not sure it would have fit in the car anyway.
Back at home, Raju rearranged the furniture in the bedroom a bit and set up the TV.  He spent a bit of time on the phone with Rogers getting the Digital Cable box set-up.  The other thing we did is buy a Digital Cable box.  With the purchase of a TV it was $400.  You may think that's a lot but we rent our other one right now for $25/month.  Considering we've been paying for it for over 2 years we could have bought 2 digital cable boxes with that money.  Raju is waiting for a call back from a manager at Rogers to see if we can do anything about that rental fee.
Here's a view of the TV from my bed.
For dinner last night Raju attempted to make the mushroom orichette dish from Kultura that we like so much.  The dish was good but was missing something.  But first time out of the gate, was quite tasty.  Tonight he made a lamb and lentil soup.  I enjoyed that very much as my throat is much sorer today with all the coughing.  It helped to sooth it.  I wonder what kitchen creation he'll make tomorrow....

No comments: