I started off with a book called How I Live Now. It's about a 15 year old girl who is sent to live with her aunt and cousins in England. When she arrives she is greeted by one of her 4 cousins and eventually meets her aunt. Soon her aunt leaves for a business trip and the kids are left to fend for themselves. At this time a war also starts so their aunt is unable to come back. The cousins get split up and the girl and her female cousin are separated from the boys. The story is mainly about finding their way back to one another. It was a good book, but a little disturbing in her relationship that she has with one of her cousins. It left me sort of feeling like I did when I watched American Beauty. All in all it was a good book, short and easy to read.
The second book I tackled was The Secret Life of Bees. I had heard about this one, but just had not gotten around to reading it. This is a story about a girl who runs away from her abusive father with her black nanny (it is older times when whites and blacks don't normally mix). They end up at the house of the calendar sisters (I call them that because their names are August, May and June. April died when they were younger). Throughout the story this girl learns all about bees and making honey and ultimately about her mother. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it was a good story so I enjoyed it as well.
The third book I read was memoirs from Jeannette Walls. I am normally a fiction person so again I wasn't too sure about it, but it was written in a way that I had to remind myself it was real life. This book is about Jeannette Walls life and how her and her siblings grew up with their parents but basically with nothing. It was an interesting take on how some people choose to be homeless.
The final book I read was Confessions of a Shopaholic. I've always seen it and thought it would be a light book to read. After the other three though it was really light and didn't have much of a storyline. Regardless it was an easy read, pretty predictable, but I don't think I'll buy anymore in the series, I may just borrow them from the library instead. I think you know the story. It's about a girl who loves to shop and gets herself into a huge amount of debt and then how she gets out of it. FYI - I realize this is in a different coloured text and underlined. I'm not quite sure why or how to get rid of it...Anyway that's my summary of books. Enjoy reading them if they sound interesting to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment