Monday, June 9, 2008

A great weekend...

It's not often I feel like the weekend was fun and relaxing. There always seems to be something going on, or if there isn't, then I'm sleeping because I'm so exhausted from week long activities. This past weekend, I'm glad to say was not like that for me at all. I wandered around town and had an enoyable time.

As mentioned, Friday was spent with my gal pals, Sally and Di. Saturday started off with brunch and chatting with neighbours. Unfortunately Raju got called to work, so we headed to Jay and Jenn's to meet little Talia (their new baby girl). Raju left shortly afterwards but I stayed for a bit because I didn't want to give up holding the baby :) I leisurly walked back home and did some puttering around the house while waiting for Raju to return. That evening we headed to Varsity Arena to watch a play called "Black Watch". It is part of the Luminato festival. I think it was staged well, but the Scottish accents were pretty thick so I couldn't understand half of what was going on. I think I got the gist of it though, and the moral of the story is "War is bad!". The play ended shortly after 9:00p.m. and we headed across the street for the afterparty at Skylounge. The patio is beautiful but the drinks are pricey!
After we left the after party, we headed to Hart House to see the art installaing "Slow Dancing". Basically it was 3 large screens with people in various dance moves. The film had been slowed down so that it was in extreme slow motion. I didn't find it very facinating, but other people were quite entranced as they sat on their blankets watching it.

After about 5 minutes, we left and wandered over to Yonge/Dundas square for the silent dance party. Before going we downloaded 2 hours of music specifically for this event. At midnight everyone switched on their iPods/mp3's and started dancing. For those who did not have the music check out the video for what you would have seen. I was surprised at the turnout. This party went until 2:00a.m. but Raju and I only lasted 20 minutes.
Sunday came with a nice bright sunny day again. After mopping the kitchen floor (I couldn't stand the stickiness anymore) and doing my Wii Fit workout, I decided to take a walk up to the Danforth. I walked along a street I never go along (Logan). Some of the houses were quite beautiful and I passed a park that had many people enjoying the day in. Once I reached the Danforth, I checked out a party store that I had been interested in seeing. Now I know where to go when I'm entertaining. I then stopped at "Blackstone", a fancy meat store. After conferring with Raju on the phone I ended up purchasing a lamb burger, a chicken/pineapple burger, 1 jerk chicken leg, 1 peppercorn beef kabob and 10 teriyaki chicken wings. As you can tell, we weren't quite sure what we wanted to eat. I headed back home with just enough time to put the food in the fridge and get ready for tea with my mothers. We headed to the Royal York for some tasty sandwiches and pastries, and tea of course. I tried a Berry, Berry tea that was not sweet at all. After we had tea, we went for a tour of their herb garden and bee hives that is on the roof of the Royal York. It was very interesting and good to know, when they cook they use fresh ingredients. It is a learning environment for their apprentices as it shows them how to care for the food they are using to cook with.


When we got home, I tried on an Indian outfit that my mother-in-law had purchased for me. It was really nice and so cute. You may get a chance to see it at Evelyn's wedding as we will be rushing from Raju's cousins wedding to the church. She also had a saree made from material I had received at my wedding, so I tried that on as well. It was like dress-up!

Of course when Mother's come to visit they have to bring food. So we got food from both sets. It worked out well, because Raju was working and didn't have time to BBQ before we headed to the Molsen Ampitheatre for the REM concert. So we had a bite of the food our Mom's brought and then headed out. We were fortunate to have Toronto Star box seats which meant we were covered and didn't get we with the rain. While we were there we saw and old school friend Sudha. She was there with her husband and saw us in the crowd of people. It was great to catch up. She is currently in North Carolina finishing up her PhD and then will be returning to Toronto.

The concert itself, was pretty good. I really enjoyed being outside. It just adds something (I'm not quite sure) to the experience. It was a great way to end a perfect weekend (for me anyway, Raju may not agree as he had to run all over the place and work all weekend!).

No comments: