Sunday, July 18, 2010

Some Good Good Home Cooking...

I've made it back in one piece to Toronto. The descent into the Toronto airport was a bit rough (a poor girl in front of me got sick and had to use the sick bag), but we landed safely. Once I got off th plane, phone Raju quickly, made a pit stop at the bathroom and made it to the baggage pick-up my suitcase was already out. In the Taxi we made good time and I made it home by 2:30pm. I was greeted with some wonderful smells as I entered the front door. I could see Raju busy at the BBQ. My homecoming included 6 roses and a delicious lunch of grilled shrimp and pineapple skewers, sweet potato chips, mushroom bruschetta and mushroom ravioli with tri-sauce (alfredo, tomato and pesto).
I have missed home cooked food so much. The rest of the day was pretty quiet. Just spent it watching TV and playing video games (I'm finally getting into Professor Layton on the DS). I unpacked my suitcase but beyond that I decided I was just going to relax and leave all the housework and chores to today.
We slept in until 8:30/9:00 today and headed out to Toast for brunch. Back at home, a load of laundry went in and then out to the grocery store. I'm not sure exactly what we got but enough to make dinner for tonight and tomorrow. I finished my laundry and read my Real Simple magazine. Camilla stopped by for a visit and brought me a present from when she was away. It's a lovely white shirt. Just what I needed as most of my white tops have pit stains now and need to be replaced.
After she left it was time to start cooking. I don't know if it's because I missed it, or that I'm inspired by Julie and Julia but we made quite a few dishes from my favourite cookbook (WIlliams Sonoma - The essentail recipe collection for today's home cook).
Here's what we cooked up:
Crab cakes - Raju's secret recipe
Braised Lamb - Pg. 268-269 - we've had this before and it was still as delicious as in the past
Apple and Walnuts with Stilton Cheese Salad - Pg. 86 - If you like strong tasting cheese (like blue cheese) you'll like this salad. I liked the crispness of the apples, the crunch of the walnuts and the sweetness of the raisins but could only eat a small amount as the cheese was too strong. I also used cucumbers instead of celery, since I don't like celery. I liked the creamy dressing though, so will most likely try it again with a less strong cheese (maybe cream cheese)
Mushroom risotto - Pg. 142 - another favourite
No dessert tonight but with this much food who needs anything else.
I also wanted to be prepared for tomorrow night, so I could come home, grab dinner and then head to yoga. So I made Chicken Breasts with Wild Mushrooms (Pg. 214). Another recipe I made before, and have blogged about how tasty it was. Super easy to make.
I have so much choice now, I'll need to decide what to take for lunch too. I have not desire to buy lunch or eat fast food. Let's see how long this lasts :)

1 comment:

sally said...

I will need to try some of those recommends from my cookbook! thanks!