Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mini-vacation

I feel like I'm having a mini-vacation while I'm out here in Edmonton. I'm certianly spending money like I am anyway. I think I may have a whole new wardrobe by the time I'm finished, but enough about shopping let me tell you about my weekend.
I slept in until 8:30a.m. on Saturday. I could have slept longer but thought I should get up and do some stuff before Maira arrived. I really wanted to go to breakfast in my PJ's but thought that wasn't appropriate, so I dragged on sweatpants and put a sweater over my PJ top and headed to the hospitality suite. I had scrambled eggs and toast. Back in the room I finished my chapter in my book. I am reading Julie and Julia. It's the book about the woman who decided to work her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child and blog about it. I have to admit it's inspiring me to do the same. I had started with the William Sonoma Cookbook but have gotten distracted. When I return home, I'll have to return to it.
Anyway, after I finished the chapter I put on my exercise top and headed to the gym where I spent 40 min on the eliptical machine. Back in the room I had a shower. It is a multi shower where there are three shower heads at various places on the wall that shoots water out. It was like having a massage at the same time.
I just finished getting ready and packing my overnight bag in time for Maira to get here. From here we headed to West Edmonton Mall. We didn't visit many stores but I managed to buy something in almost every single one we went into.
After a few hours we left the crowds and headed to her house. It is out in a very rural area and it felt like I was going to someone's cottage. They have 4 acres of land. At her house we made dinner and I played with her son Sakib for a while. Maira's husband is a hunter, which I knew but hadn't really thought about it. On a tour of the house she took me to the basement where he has two of his catch's heads stuffed and mounted on the wall. A moose and a deer (I'll post pictures when I get back).
Again I managed to sleep until 8:30a.m. this morning. No one else was up so I got ready and read a little bit. Once everyone surfaced, we made pancakes for breakfast and then Maira took me on a tour of the land (at least the perimeter) on ATV's. I have ridden these before in Costa Rica. This was better as the terrain was not as bumpy.
Afterwards we made a quick escape before her son could see us leave and then Maira dropped me back at the hotel while she headed into the office to do some work.
As the sun was shining I headed out to the mall nearby and did some more shopping. I think I have to avoid all malls for the next week or else I'll have to buy another suitcase to bring all my new purchases home :)
I came back to the hotel and caught up on my e-mails, chatted with Raju and have just finished my Tracy Anderson exercise DVD that I brought with me. I think I'll fill the tub, put the jets on and enjoy a little soak while spending time with 'Julie and Julia'. Then I'll figure out what to do for dinner.
6 more sleeps and I'm back in Toronto!!! I miss my house and of course my husband :)

2 comments:

Princess Di said...

I would have a hard time being alone for so long too but it sounds like you're making the most of it, your meals and bathroom facilities sound awesome! (What can I say, two of my most frequent activities...)

Princess Di said...

P.S. Miss you too!