Thursday, September 1, 2011

August Books

I'm slowly getting there.  I'm a bit worried that I won't meet my 50 book quota by then end of the year but I'm trying.
Here are last months reads:

Eat That Frog - Author: Brian Tracy
I've had this book sitting on my desk at work for a while.  It's a quick read on how to avoid procrastinating and manage your time better.  The 'frog' represents the biggest and most difficult thing you need to get done.  The message is basically do that first and get it out of the way.  It also provides some other time management tips.  There aren't any ground breaking new idea but it is a nice quick read to remind you of how to use your time wisely.




The Red Box - Author: Rex Stout
Last month I read The Rubber Band.  This story follows that (although you don't need to have read The Rubber Band to understand this one).  It's another case to be solved by Nero Wolfe.  This story was better than the last one but I'm still not sure how I feel about them.  I'll read some more in the coming months and see if I can get into them, but I think I'm not connecting with the characters.  I know there are people out there who love this series of books so it could just be me, or maybe my head space when I'm reading them.  In any case, they aren't horrible so I'm willing to power through and see what other capers Nero and Archie get into.

Archie Comic Book
To be honest I can't remember the exact title on this one.  It was  Jughead Double Digest I believe.  I've already passed it on.  I like to read these to give my mind a rest from the books that require more attention and brain power.  These are good to read just before going to bed.  I can get through one or two stories and it's lighthearted enough that it won't give me bad dreams.

Life in the Stress Lane - Author:  Dr. Stuart Atkins
A few years ago I was certified to facilitate a course called LIFO (R) - Life Orientations.  It is similar to other personality assessments you may have done.  This assessment gives you your preferred behaviours when things are going well and also your preferred behaviours in times of stress.  Dr. Stuart Atkins developed this assessment and has books that go along with it.  This one, like Eat that Frog, has been on my desk for a while and I decided it was time to go through it.  It discusses stress and how to handle it, by expanding on some of the concepts from the LIFO (R) course.  I also like that it provides you with exercises to do to help work your way through stressful situations.

No comments: