Monday, January 24, 2011

My First Time

I have managed to get through 37 years without having any broken bones or need for surgery (tonsils, appendix etc.).  I supposed at some point it had to end.  On Friday I went into Sunnybrook for an outpatient procedure.  I was getting a Laparoscopy to check and see if I had endometriosis.  As I get bad cramps with my period, the doctor wanted to take a look around to see.  This involves 3 small incisions and then a small tube with a camera is inserted to help the doctor investigate.  This is routine so I wasn't so worried about that, but it was the first time that I was put out entirely.  I have had many procedures with local anesthetic and where you are just drowsy but still awake.  As a bit of a control freak, this worried me to not know what was going on.
The experience started last Monday when I went for my pre-admission appointment.  I had some bloodwork done as well.  The nurse spoke to me about what to expect and what to do just prior to and after surgery for recovery.  On Friday, Camilla and my Mom picked me up at 6:30a.m. (Raju had to work that morning) and off we went.  Camilla dropped us off and my Mom and I went to the check-in room.  Things went rather smoothly.  After about 15 minutes, I was taken to change into my hospital gowns and then ushered to another room to wait for my IV tube to be inserted.  Once that was done, my Mom was able to sit with me until I was to go for my actual surgery.  This wait was only about another 10 minutes too.  I thought that I would be on a stretcher and wheeled into surgery but instead I walked up to the OR (lucky #7) instead.  I think the nurse taking me up was a bit embarrassed as we passed so many empty stretchers on the way.  I didn't mind though, because I had a lot of nervous energy to get rid of.  At the OR room, I waited for another 15-20 minutes until my doctor arrived.  During that time, I was bit cold so they brought a couple of warming blankets for me (like they just came out of the dryer).  The doctor went in to the operating room and got things set up with the nurses while I still waited in the hall.  The anaesthesiologist came out to ask me a few questions and then went back in.  Soon another nurse came out, asked some more questions and then took me in.  One question I thought was funny, was they all asked if I knew why I was there.  The Anaesthesiologist reassured me that they knew too, they just wanted to confirm it with me.  The nurses were all very nice and said not to worry they would take very good care of me.  I hopped up on the operating table and they hooked me up to the IV and started giving me the good drugs.  They then attached my heart monitor and explained that they were all going to have a meeting to ensure everyone in the OR knew what was going on.  That's the last thing I remember and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.  I felt really uncomfortable as if I had to go to the bathroom.  The nurse said it was just due to the catheter they had taken out and it would pass.  After a few minutes they wheeled me to another recovery area where my Mom was able to come and see me for a couple of minutes before she had to leave (and fill my prescriptions)  and I was left to sleep for about an hour.  I remember being very cold and they brought me some more warming blankets and tucked me in.  An hour later my Mom returned with Raju.  The nurses escorted me to the bathroom to ensure I could go before they let me leave.  At this point I just wanted to go home to the comfort of my bed.  Fortunately I no problems in the bathroom and it was time to get dressed.  With only one bought of nausea after they took the IV needle out, my Mom helped me dress, an attendant wheeled me out in a wheel chair to the car and I got to come home.  Once at home, I went straight to bed and slept.
After all that the doctor called on Saturday to say there was a mild case of endometriosis but nothing major.  I guess better to be safe than sorry.  Everyday is better than the last but there is still some soreness and bloating in my tummy.  I'm sure I'll be fine by the end of the week.  I should have asked the doctor to vacuum out some of the fat while they were in there :)

2 comments:

Trish said...

Hope you are healing well! And, more importantly, I hope they did not detect anything serious :) HUGS!

sally said...

How you feeling? Hope all's well!