Sunday, January 16, 2011

French Toast

You all know how I love the cranberry cream cheese stuffed french toast at Toast, so I was thinking how hard would it be to make.  Yesterday I made the Challah bread and this morning after a trip to the grocery store I tried to concoct the whole thing.  First I took some cranberries and put them in the blender to chop them up very finely.  I then mixed them in with the cream cheese.  Then I took slices of the challah bread and dipped them in my egg mixture and put them in the pan to make the french toast.  Once one side was done I turned them over and then put the cream cheese mixture on one slice.  I covered it with the other and flipped it.  I also put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes for good measure.
While it was ok, it wasn't the same.  I felt that the cream cheese was tangier than the one at the restaurant.  Maybe I added too many cranberries or maybe they added sugar.  That's probably why restaurants have signature dishes, because there is some secret ingredient that makes it all their own.


Raju in his winter gear
We also managed to get some tobogganing in this weekend.  It's our first run of the season.  I managed to get good and wet and snowy.  We were the first ones on the hill for the morning and with the fresh snow, we had to make our own tracks.  I fell off the sleigh a few times too.  Much fun going down, not so much fun coming up the hill.  It was refreshing though and made coming home and getting into nice dry clothes so much better :)

1 comment:

Princess Di said...

i'm impressed with your french toast efforts! Cant believe you baked your own bread!! I suggest mixing cranberry sauce with the cream cheese and making the sandwich before you dip in egg. Then fry on each side and then bake in oven. At least thats how i thought they made it. Maybe i need to come over to taste test...