I love long weekends especially when there is nothing planned. That was the case for this labour day weekend but I think it turned out to one my busier ones and I feel like I need a vacation from the weekend :)
Friday night, I spontaneously went out for a couple of drinks afterwork with my work colleagues. It was a beautiful afternoon and we got out early so we headed to the Duke of Devon to sit on the patio. Afterwards I wandered on home and did nothing except watch TV, eat dinner and go to bed. Saturday morning we woke up puttered around and then decided to be productive. This involved a trip to Gerrard Square. First stop, McDonald's. We did just receive the coupons so we used the breakfast ones. It seems like a couple of our neighbours had the same idea as we bumped into them getting their breakfast too. Next on the list was Winners. Again, our neighbours had the same idea. I found a box for Halloween candy and Raju found a pair of shoes. Last on our hit list was Home Depot (which we know our neighbours went to as well). The wild cats have torn up all our grass/sod so we (and when I say we, I mean Raju) decided to till the back yard and throw down grass seed to settle and hopefully have a nice lawn for next year. We rented a tiller and Raju did the hard labour of tearing up the backyard. Interestingly as we spoke with our neighbours we realized that they are as fed up with the cats as we are and had even called the humane society about trying to deal with them. We saw the van driving around and surprisingly very few cats that day but I'm not quite sure what will come of it.
Later that evening we went to Hernando's Hideaway for dinner and met my sister's brother-in-law, wife and their friends at the Flatiron Firkin for a drink before they went for dinner at Sultan's tent.
Sunday we woke up and I headed to my acupuncture appointment while Raju went on a nice long bike ride. After my appointment I stopped at Costco to pick up a few things. This is Ramadan time and my Mom and her siblings are contributing towards dinner at the masjid/mosque on Saturday. I volunteered to help my Mom with some of the desserts. They have to cater for 1600 people. I said I would make some mini cakes for my contribution so I needed to pick up some ingredients. After Costco is was on to Canadian Tire to pick up a steam mop. For the past month I have been being bitten like crazy. Raju has not received any bites but I'm going to try and steam the floors and furniture to try get rid of these critters.
Once back at home I was just putting away the groceries when Camilla called to say they would be over shortly (we had made arrangements for her to come over for lunch). They arrived and it was burgers, salad and fries for lunch. One of our more simpler meals. Ryan was a lot of fun but full of energy. I started my baking with him there and he was amused with the Kitchen Aid mixer. He also likes to 'cook rice', so I gave him a bowl and spoon for him to do his own cooking. Once they left and my cakes were baked, I managed to make 100 mini ones, I just needed to put my feet up and have Raju rub them for a bit while we watched Duplicity. Let's just say I fell asleep a few times throughout it and didn't feel the need to rewatch it.
Monday it was time for me to buckle down and do some housework. I woke up and baked another batch of 100 mini cakes, exercised, did some work, swept and vacummed and got ready to use my steam mop. I started putting it together and then was disappointed to realize that I was missing some parts. As everything was closed I could not take it back. I'll have to do that later this week I suppose.
Raju's parents came by for a visit as they were downtown at Suzi's watching the air show. They arrived at the perfect time, since our back door decided to come off the hinges. Dad-in-law was very helpful in directing Raju on how to fix it, and thankfully it's back in place. They visited for a bit and when they left we did a few more things before Raju decided to make some dinner. We invited Suzi and Abbas over. Again in our simple mode, we had pasta and bread. Quite delicious.
Now I'm exhausted and am mentally preparing for back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment