I've been trying to clean, organize and purge both at home and work to prepare for my time off. I realized that it's not just my desk and home that need cleaning but my e-mails as well. I must be on a ton of mailing lists and I don't read any of the e-mails I get. I just briefly glance at them and then delete them. I know it only takes a few seconds to hit the delete button, but add them all up and I must be wasting tons of time, so I decided it was time to take control and start cleaning up my in-boxes. I have started to click the unsubscribe link to get off some mailing lists. I'm not sure I notice a difference yet, but sometimes it takes a few days to take effect. I'm not stopping all of them so before I hit unsubscribe I really think about the e-mails I want to continue receiving and that I will take the time to read and pay attention to.
I know this is something that's not going to change the world, but maybe it will make mine just a little bit easier and I won't feel inundated with information. I guess if I wanted to get deep, I could say, it's the first step in cutting unnecessary things out of my life and that eventually I'll move it out of my e-mail in-boxes and onto other things in my life. But let's be honest that probably won't happen and I don't know what else I would cut out.

No comments:
Post a Comment