There was a nice break in the middle of the week when I met up with Mahi, Raju, Di and Suzi for birthday drinks (for Mahi) at BeerBistro. It just the pick me up to get me through the rest of the week.
Friday night Raju and I headed out to his parents house for dinner. His cousin and wife and Aunt and Uncle were also there. I decided to take Kingston road instead of the DVP and try to avoid the traffic. I'm not sure we got there any faster but we were always moving so I felt like we were getting there quicker.
Saturday morning I woke up nice and early and headed back to school. This time it's Breakfast Breads. Mel is also in this class and we're partners. She introduced me to some of her friends (she has many). We don't have to wear our uniforms which is nice but I like wearing my top as I feel it covers me to avoid my other clothes from getting dirty. We made Brioche. Unfortunately we had accidentally used the wrong flour so ours turned out a little differently. It was still edible just a bit sweeter. Chef cautioned us about making sure we used the right ingredients and that we just need to learn from our mistakes. This would have been fine had she just said it once, but the 4th or 5th time later I started to feel like a little child. Chef is quite good though and I'm sure I will still learn from her I just didn't like her tight timelines and chastising. Raju didn't think there was anything wrong when I fed them to him when I got home so I think we just created a brand new recipe...right Mel?
Saturday was also Girls Day Out with my Mom, sisters and niece (Kira). For Christmas my Mom wanted to take us for lunch and manicures and pedicures. We met at Hot House where there was a slight mix up in seating. Fariena and Kira arrived before us and were seated. When we arrived (Camilla, Mom and myself) we got shown to a different table. Not knowing that each of us were in the restaurant we all just waited. Camilla called and Fariena said "We're here!" which we misunderstood to mean she had just got there. We kept looking to see her come to the table. 10 min. later Camilla called back and realized Fariena was in the restaurant. It all worked out and they came to join us at our table.
After a tasty lunch we headed to the nail salon at Parliament and Gerrard. Even Kira got her nails done.
It was really funny actually. She's in the question asking phase so she had to know everything. What is that? What's it for? Is it going to hurt me?
I got home around 5:30p.m. and considered going out to a party but the snow started and I decided to just stay inside in the warmth.
Today I got up and decided to re-try the Brioche recipe with the correct flour. I also wanted to see how it would turn out with slightly different ingredients (instant yeast vs. fresh yeast). They turned out quite well I must say. I asked Raju if he noticed a difference, he just said these ones were a bit lighter.Now I'm waiting for dinner as I've attempted to make a roast again. I don't every think it turns out well so I tried seasoning it with different things today. We'll see how it turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment