Sunday, September 7, 2008

Film Festival parties

Raju has been very busy, viewing movies and attending parties for the Film Festival (you can read it on the Toronto Star TIFF blog). I just assumed I would see him sporadically over the next couple of weeks and didn't think that I would be attending any parties with him. Last night however, I did get a taste of the film festival craze. We started off at a party for a short film (The Next Floor) at Panorama. It is a gorgeous venue. We met up with Sandy and Raquel and later Chris and Sarah joined us. We had a few complimentary beverages and I got to see my boyfriend Kevin again (see post of MMVA's). I felt that had made my evening, but then we all headed downstairs to Birks (yes, the jewellery store) for the Hello! party. Raju managed to weasel me in with him. It was actually ironic, because the party was an ode to legendary couples, but many people were invited without a plus one.
As we walked in, I asked Raju if he wanted to buy me a present. No luck, being surrounded by diamonds and jewels did not tempt him. This party had a few familiar faces for me. Dina and Frank from Breakfast television were there. Not only did I get my picture with them I also got to have conversations with them. They really are as nice in person as they are on TV. Frank gave us tips on sodding our backyard and told us to e-mail him if we have any problems. Dina was as gorgeous in person and as bubbly and friendly too. She admired my earrings and called me an "Angel". Raju got into a conversation with her, about CTV eventually taking over the TV world. Apparently Jennifer Valentine was also there, but I didn't see her. I was too focused on Dina and Frank. It's the local celebrities that make my day :) Raju's very good friend Allison was hosting the party so we had a few pictures taken with her and also one of just ourselves. We'll see if it turns up in any of the celebrity pages :)
One of the actresses from Corner Gas was also at this party. When we were house hunting we had seen her at one of the showings, and then we saw her at the grocery store a few weeks ago. Raju had been curious as to whether or not she had bought the house we saw her at. So this was his chance to ask. She did not buy that one, but did buy another one in Leslieville.
This party ended around 11:00p.m. so off we went to one of Raju's friends birthday party at the Gladstone. It was karaoke night. I don't karaoke but it was amusing to watch everyone else.
It was a great night, but I definitely don't have the stamina to do it all the time.
Good Luck to Raju and his crew who are out and about for the rest of the week.

No comments: