Tuesday, February 15, 2011

NOT a Valentine's Dinner

You are all aware of my thoughts on Valentine's Day.  I believe it's just a made up day to make money.  I tell Raju not to buy me roses that will cost at least double what they would any other time of the year and that I wouldn't find a crowded restaurant romantic.  I guess that I am also lucky that we do romantic things throughout the year so I don't feel the need to celebrate especially on Valentine's Day.  Raju however does not really agree with my non-sentimental feelings towards V-Day, so tonight I decided to make him a nice dinner.
The menu consisted of:
Garlic Shrimp
Lamb Chops with Port Sauce (recipe courtesy of my trusty Williams Sonoma Cookbook pg. 278).  The recipe just calls for salt and pepper seasoning but I also added tarragon and rosemary
Side of Apples sauteed in cinnamon and topped with raisins and pecans (recipe courtesy of this months Clean Eating magazine)
Dessert - Chocolate Brownie Truffles (Pampered Chef recipe)




I have to admit it was all very tasty and also very simple to make.  I wasn't quite sure about the apples but they were good.  Here's the recipe if you want to try it out for yourself.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 tsp raisins, cut in half
  • 2 small Red Delicious apples, halved, cored and skin pierced several times
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted pecan pieces, toasted
  • 2 tsp raw honey
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 packets Stevia (organic sweetener)
  • Pinch of sea salt (I just realized that I forgot the salt, but it still tasted fine)

Instructions:
In a small bowl whisk together 2 tbsp water and cinnamon and pour into a medium nonstick skillet.  Sprinkle raisins evenly over top, then place apples, cut sides-down, in skillet.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4 minutes or until apples are just tender when pierced with a fork.

Remove only apples from skillet and place, cut=sides-up, on a serving platter.  Stir pecans, honey, vanilla, Stevia and slat into skillet and spoon mixture over top of each apple half, dividing evenly.

No comments: