Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mini-cake class

As I've blogged before I have this fascination with cupcakes. I plan to take a cupcake course but as it was full this month I opted for a mini-cake class instead. So last night, myself and a friend from work attended a 3 hour course at Bonnie Gordon. The picture is what took me 3 hours to create, and I didn't even have to bake the cake. We also made square ones but I didn't have time to decorate it. I'm not sure you can tell but this cake is about 2" in diameter and 2" high, so not big at all. The teacher cut them out for us, then we had to mask it with buttercream, freeze it for a bit, roll out the fondant and decorate as we wish. It sounds easy enough, but was pretty difficult. I think the hardest part was covering it with the buttercream frosting. Thankfully fondant icing covers many imperfections. Apparently it takes at least 1 hour to make each mini-cake. I don't have the patience or the tools so I don't think I'll be going into this line of business, although it could be quite profitable. Our teacher's base price for one of these is $17.50. I can tell you, the amount of effort it takes it's worth it.

1 comment:

Princess Di said...

SO adorable, they look so fun to make at least even if they are time consuming....