Monday, August 25, 2008

A weekend full of weddings

After a summer wedding free, it came on full force this past weekend. We had two weddings. Binder, Raju's cousin, and Evelyn and Stu.
And just because we didn't feel like we had enough going on, we also decided to host a dinner party on Friday night for Ron and Ksenya, who are in town visiting from Washington.
So let's start at the beginning.
Friday we had our team day at Centreville. After a bit of a late start getting there, we got over to the Island at 1:00p.m. Only one restaurant was open so we had to wait a little bit to get a table. Once we sat down and ordered it was a lovely relaxing lunch. Afterwards, we wandered around Centreville for dessert (yummy funnel cake) and then to visit the animals at Far Enough Farms.
I got home at 5:30p.m. with just enough time to get a few things done before guests started arriving at 6:00p.m. We had chicken, steak and veggie fajitas. All the guests were very helpful in bringing food and helping with the clean up, so when everyone left around 11:30p.m. there wasn't too much left to do, and we were in bed by 12:30a.m.
Saturday morning we were up at 6:30a.m. to get ready for Binder's morning wedding. We arrived at her parents house around 8:30a.m., just in time to get in our car again and head to the Gudwara (the same one we were married in). We got there and stood around, ate, observed the milni and then the ceremony finally started at 11:00a.m. As most of the guests were Sikh there was no translator but since I've seen a few of these types of ceremonies I knew what was going on. We stood in line to get our picture taken with the bride and groom and then left at about 12:30 to head to Evelyn's wedding ceremony. We got there earlier than expected and at the same time as the groom and groomsmen. It was good because we were able to pop into McDonald's for a quick bite as we had skipped lunch at the Gudwara.
After a lovely ceremony, we headed home and relaxed for a couple of hours before getting ready and heading to the Fermenting Celler for Ev and Stu's reception. Evelyn did a great job with decorating and her attention to detail. It was a very modern type wedding with Homer and Marge gracing the top of the cake. I had a fantastic time. It has been such a long time since all us gals have partied together. I quite enjoyed myself and can't believe I lasted until the end and dancing most of the night away.
By the time I got to bed it was 2:00p.m. (this included a move to the couch to get away from Mr. Snory). I slept there until 9:00a.m. and then moved back to the bed and slept until 11:00a.m. I finally dragged myself out of bed and we headed to Joy Bistro for Brunch. We just finished and made it into Starbucks before the downpour. We waited it out and then headed back home for another nap before heading to Binder's reception in Brampton. We arrived there around 7:00p.m. and true to Indian fashion, things didn't get rolling until 8:00/8:30p.m. We stuck it out until 11:30p.m and then headed home. Again, after a move downstairs, I fell asleep around 1:30a.m. only to be awoken at 4:30a.m. by the alarm beeping indicating there might be trouble. I remember from the condo that this was more of an indication that the battery needed to be changed. I turned the alarm off, but it continued to beep so I headed back upstairs to see if I could get some sleep in the bed and hoping Raju had stopped snoring. I could still hear the alarm beeping but after about 10 minutes it stopped. I managed to sleep until 6:30a.m. and then ended up getting up to get ready for work. I also had to move the car because there was no parking on our street when we returned from the wedding and we had to park on Broadview. I needed to move it by 8:00a.m. so I wouldn't get ticketed. As I was walking to work (at 8:05a.m.) I saw the car that had parked behind me get ticketed. Those parking cops don't waste time at all.
It was a very busy weekend but all good. Let's hope I can make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk :)

2 comments:

Princess Di said...

I'm impressed we all lasted that long! And it was SO MUCH fun to party together again. Although, I don't remember saying goodbye to you...

sally said...

I don't think I said goodbye to anyone! hehe.