Sunday May 22nd
Headed off to the ASTD conference in Orlando, Florida. I left early as I wanted to make sure that we didn't run into traffic as the Gardiner was closed for the weekend. Arrived at the airport in plenty of time and thank goodness I did that. It took an hour to get through customs and security. They were moving slow this morning.
The flight took off on time and was pretty uneventful and surprisingly so as there were many kids on board. As we got closer to our destination and began our descent I started to get very excited. I felt like a child on Christmas Eve because I was getting closer to Disney World (the happiest place on earth). I know the purpose of my trip is the conference but I have made time to make a visit to the Magic Kingdom while we are here and I couldn't wait.
The flight landed safely and I met Jill with no problems at the luggage claim area. From there we got in a cab and made our way to the Rosen Plaza hotel, our home for the next few days.
Check in was a breeze and after dropping our stuff off in our rooms and a quick bathroom break we headed out to get our bearings. First, register at the conference. We asked for directions as the reception desk, and fortunately we did not take them. It would have sent us on a very long round about route. We found our way and the short cut on the way back. By the time we registered it was too late to attend the afternoon session so we headed to get something to eat. Across from our hotel there were a variety of restaurants and stores. We decided on Tommy Bahama's so we could sit on the patio. I had the crispy fish sandwich and fries...delicious! Afterwards we wandered around and then I decided to buy a bathing suit (as seen in 4 month baby bump post). It's a two piece tankini which I'm hoping to wear post baby too. With bathing suit in hand, back to the hotel we went and went to the pool. It was nice for a dip and a chat.
Jill and I met up for dinner at 8:00a.m. As I was having a phone date with Raju at 9:30p.m. we stuck to the hotel restaurant. I wasn't too hungry so just had the salad bar.
Back in the room and had my good night chat with Raju. I hung up the phone and thought I heard weird popping sounds so took a look out my window. There were fireworks. I think it may have been from one of the Disney parks, so I sat in the chair and watched the show. It was lovely and put a smile on my face. What a great way to end the day!
Monday May 23rd
I woke up at my normal time of 6:00a.m. but had some difficulty. It was still dark. Apparently in Orlando, the sun comes up a little later. I managed to drag myself out of bed and get ready while watching the news. It was so nice to hear "well...we're in the middle of a heat wave". Jill and I met for breakfast at 7:00a.m. where I had a cheese and mushroom omelet and some fruit.
We headed to our 8:00a.m. session. It started off with a performance by G-force (apparently they were on America's got Talent). They were full of energy for so early in the morning. Next the president of ASTD spoke for a bit, but the real highlight was the keynote speaker Marcus Buckingham. I heard of him a couple of years ago when our boss bought us each the book (Now Discover Your Strengths). He focuses on people's strengths as opposed to weaknesses. He was a great speaker! I then bought his new book and got to shake his hand and have my copy autographed.
There was a bit of a break before the next session, so we toured around the exhibit hall and then went off site for lunch.
The afternoon session was by a gentleman named Jon Gordon. His topic was Driver of Positive Change. Like most of the speakers he had a book "The Energy Bus". The seminar was ok but not outstanding.
After this I headed back to the hotel for a little rest as this was the night we headed to Magic Kingdom and I needed all my energy.
We headed over and arrived at 4:00p.m. From where you get your ticket you can the monorail or the ferry. We decided on the ferry. I can't tell you how excited I was to see Cinderella's castle. This trip I only went on very easy rides that had small line-ups. Here's what we went on:
- Walt Disney World Railroad (takes you around the perimeter of the park)
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority - PeopleMover (takes you around Tomorrowland)
- Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (shows you the progress of technology over the years)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (I think there were some changes as I'm sure I saw Johnny Depp as we were sailing through)
- Haunted Mansion (one of the only haunted houses I will ever go in)
- "It's a small world" (an oldie)
I was exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel, so had a quick chat with Raju and then fell into bed and had a nice sound sleep.
Tuesday May 24th
Awoke again to a dark morning, but that quickly brightened up.
Today's morning session had the owner of Campbell's Soup. The book they have is called "Touchpoints". Their talk was about how it's the small 2-4 second moments that have the greatest impacts on people. It's these touchpoints we need to be aware of and use as best we can. It wasn't a bad session.
Again we had a large break before the next session, so we decided to hit an Outlet Mall. I must say being pregnant helps to save a lot of money. I saw many cute outfits but nothing I could fit into so I didn't buy any of them. I got a pair of sandals from the Disney store and a sweater and dress from Banana Republic.
We made it back to have lunch by the pool and then attend a couple of afternoon sessions. First I attended one called Who's in Charge of Change? It wasn't very good at all. The second session I attended was called The Mind Gym - Wake Up Your Mind. It was a very active session that got us up and moving. I enjoyed it and found it was a good way to end the day.
Both Jill and myself were tired so we had an earlier dinner in the hotel and stayed in for the evening. I packed, had my evening call with Raju and climbed into bed.
Wednesday May 25th
Today was the day we went home, but had enough time for one more session. I attended "One Organization's Journey to Transforming New Leadership". I picked up some tips that will be helpful so that was good. Back at the hotel we had one last sit by the pool and then it was time to check out and head to the airport. Again we were early arriving but it turned out to be a good thing as there seemed to be a problem with some passengers and my check-in line took a lot longer than I thought.
The flight home was nice and peaceful. There was a sad moment when they announced we had someone on board from The Children's Wish foundation. It was his wish to visit Disney World.
As usual the wait for luggage was a bit long but fortunately my suitcase was amongst one of the first ones. Got in a cab and came home to roses.
It was a nice trip but I'm glad to be back home. This month was busy with travelling for work and I feel a little tuckered out. This was a nice to take baby on their first trip to Disney. You can't start too early :)
No comments:
Post a Comment